Politics of education and education policy studies: Pre-conference meeting at NERA 2015 Gothenburg, March 3, 2015
- Opening the pre-conference, getting to know each other, general discussion on the objectives (Taina Saarinen and Arja Haapakorpi to lead discussion)
- Defining the sub-goals and preparing the action plan
- Discussion on developing co-operation with other educational research organisations and EERA (present in discussions we have George Head of EERA)
- Discussing interest in collaboration on research (Palle Rasmussen to lead discussion)
- Discussing options for collaboration in doctoral studies; discussing possibilities for a summer school session for doctoral students (PhD students Sonja Kosunen and Anna Maria Fjellman to lead discussion)
At Network 21 meeting at Lillehammer 2014 we observed that we have overlapping activities with NERA and EERA. In other words, there are possibilities for co-operation (either at conferences or between conferences).
There might also be a need for co-operation in (Nordic, European, other) funding.
Nordic co-operation would create possibilities for development of doctoral studies within the field of education policy studies.
We decided to organize a pre-conference which aims at promoting Nordic collaboration of researchers in education policy.
Outcome of the pre-conference
Organisation of NETWORK 21
No new organisations needed, but
- We need to provide a platform some forms of activity (workshops, sessions), organising thematic sessions
- We might have invited / guest sessions at NERA, SERA? i.e SERA session at the next NERA 2016?
- invited speakers from sister organisations?
- activities between conferences to create continuity?
- and social networking!
=> co-operation needs to be open and transparent
Co-operation between sociologists and policy sessions, for instance every other year a joint workshop at EERA?
Co-operation between different disciplines – how is this possible? How to bring together education researchers and sociologists?
- pre-conference at NERA 2016
- doctoral students + some seniors (other than supervisors)
- abstracts and ”full” papers
- presentation and long round table discussion
- does not exclude from presenting at the conference
- could eventually lead to organisation of summer schools?
- and social networking!
Long term action:
- short research visits
- joint publishing, for instance thematic issues at SJE, NSE
- funding? From Erasmus?